Prof. Takashi Inoguchi:
1. Health and Environment are important issues. ASEAN-Barometer 2009 is a grassroots-level project. ASEAN has to change from technocratic to people oriented organization.
2. Not only focusing on macroeconomics data but also micro data. Micro data are scarce.
Health and Environment: High Priorities to Human Beings
Prof. Takashi Inoguchi (University of Niigata Prefecture)
1. Good knowledge of health and environment enables people to live their lives better and more happily.
2. Social relationship does matter immensely to make a person feel healthy.
3. Low income, health and environmental problems are main causes of stress.
4. All citizens, government, businesses and other play equal roles in protecting the environment.
Toward a Healthy and Green ASEAN
Prof. Chizuko Wakabayashi (University of Niigata Prefecture)
1. Overall, most people consider their qualities of life are good.
2. Social sciences literatures agreed that socio-economic and socio-politic have strong impact in quality of life.
3. People with high level of household of income and educational attainment are likely to be satisfied with their overall health.
4. Developing neighborhood living environment including availability of education and health care services could improve people? health in ASEAN.
1. Education plays an important role in environmental consciousness.
2. Education is a better way to address the environmental issues
3. People of ASEAN countries are concerned about the negative effects of environmental deterioration on their health and public health.
4. Given that ASEAN countries deal with environmental issues, simultaneously experiencing political, economic and social changes, raising environmental sensitivity in the form of prioritization of environmental conservation in everyday life is a key to environmental management.
1. Trust in the governments and socio-political institutions could encourage people? cooperation
2. Development of reliable and available institutions is a key to address the environmental challenges.
1.The survey results revealed the importance of education and information on health and environment. Increased accessibility to local social institutions such as education, health care, transportation, and shopping and improved neighborhood physical and social conditions including public safety, sanitary conditions, natural surroundings, and neighbors' social relationships could promote people? health and raise their environmental consciousness.
2. People's cooperation and support for the policies would be essential to cope with health and environment issues. Results suggested that improving social and policy-related environments with development of reliable and available socio-political institutions in the neighborhoods is effective to deal with the health and environment challenges.